You did it! You have successfully raised a child in Plano, TX to the point they earned their driver’s license! While you are confident they are using their turn signals and seatbelts, are they really prepared to handle an accident that happens on a rural road far from assistance? Paragon Independent Insurance Agency offers up this handy list to create an accident kit and ensure your child is really ready to hit the highway without you.
- Spare Tire or Fix-a-flat Kit: Even new cars can suffer a flat tire anywhere at anytime. Take the time to change a tire with your child, showing them how to jack up the car and use the lug wrench. Perhaps they only have a can of fix-a-flat. It still helps to know what to do before they are broke down on the edge of the interstate.
- Collapsible Shovel: Even a small shovel can help them dig free from a ditch or muddy bog, empowering them to help themselves.
- Roadside Assistance Card: Having a phone number pre-programmed into their cell phone with the card left in the glove box ensures they can get a jump or a tow in the middle of the night without wondering what to do or who to turn to.
- Flashlight/Flares: Help them stay visible even if the hazards might not be working.
- Insurance Car and Camera: In case of an accident, make sure they have their contact information in the vehicle. Also encourage them to take pics with their phone or digital camera to document damage without relying on law enforcement to make the right call.
Paragon Independent Insurance Agency looks forward to helping your family provide all the protection your new teen driver needs when tackling the busy roads of Plano, TX.