Fall is a terrific time to do some routine maintenance and yard work to get ready for the winter season. It is always nice to start early before the pressures of the holidays begin. As part of your fall checklist, be sure to ask your insurance agent at Paragon Independent Insurance Agency to review home insurance for adequate coverage.
- Change the Furnace Filter – Using a HEPA filter is best. The filter needs cleaning and/or changing once per month during winter for the most efficient furnace operations that save money on energy bills.
- Air-Conditioning Units – Drain any water, clean, and store any window units or cover them. Drain water, clean, and cover external central air-conditioning units.
- Irrigation Systems – Turn off the water supply and drain irrigation systems. Drain garden hoses and put them in storage.
- Reverse the Direction of Ceiling Fans – Switching the spin direction of any ceiling fans to a clockwise direction brings the warm air down from the ceiling to make the room warmer.
- Block Drafts – Check weather stripping and use caulking around windows and doors to prevent heat loss from leaks.
- Insulate Pipes – Make sure all water pipes have proper insulation to avoid damage from water freezing in them.
- Air Ducts – Have them professionally cleaned and checked for any leaks that cause heat loss.
- Landscaping – Trim bushes and trees, especially ones that are near the home to prevent damage to the house from falling branches during storms.
- Storm Windows – Use storm windows to protect from damage during any high winds or thunderstorms.
- Lightning Rod – Install a lightning rod to attract lightning strikes away from hitting the home during thunderstorms.
- Emergency Preparedness – Check smoke alarms. Have an emergency kit ready and refilled with any items needed.
This fall checklist will help you get your home ready for winter, so you can have a safe, enjoyable holiday season.